Wednesday 20 December 2017

Small things create stronger impact than big things

A short story on employees motivation and keeping their interest alive at work.



I was sitting in the desperate mood. My company employees' turnover rate was very high. Employees hardly reach 2 years and then switch. I was very much worried with this situation.

It was 10pm, office lights were dim, I was just starring www.google.com webpage at my laptop, thinking google might help me get rid of it. Meanwhile, my office boy entered the room and asked for coffee. That was my 6th mug of coffee since morning. 

"Yeah, bring coffee".
"Ok, sir", my tea boy replied and left the room.
I placed my cell phone on my desk, loosen my neck tie and started looking out of the window. How beautiful are these street lights!

After a couple of minutes, my mobie phone rang, I looked at its screen, it was my old buddy Omer's call, who is now a well reputed trainer.

"Hello", I said in a low tone.
"Hey, buddy! How are you?"
"M fine", thank you! I replied. He questioned,
"Are you sleeping"? I negated,
"No, just sitting in the office, waiting for coffee and nothing". He was astonished and said,
"Its 10pm, and you are still in office. Why?" I took a deep breath and replied,
"Oh Yes, Omer. My mind is occupied, can I call you tomorrow?" He replied,
"You may, but if you share your problem, may be I can help you".
"Well, My employees are not happy to work here", I told him in an irritating sound
"So, this is the problem. Its not the big deal. Just give them incentives and they will not go anywhere", he added.
"I have done it all. I have given them incentives, good salaries, appreciation letters but all in vain", I answered in a jiffy.
"Invest in their families", he replied back.
"What"??? I was amazed by Omer's reply. He then continued,
"If you want your employees to become more productive then invest in their hobbies, families, and their personal interests". I questioned immediately,
"How will it be helpful?" 
"We all earn for our families and if we cannot find time to spend with them, make them enjoy life, then everything is useless. These small things play big role. Let me explain through examples". He said confidently.
"Yeah, sure", I smiled.
"Sometimes, appreciation letters don't work but if you give your employee 1 week off, he will become more happy. Similarly, if you send gifts to your employees' families they will feel more comfortable at work. Few days back, I gave my worker brand new Saree (Indian traditional dress) and asked him to gift her wife on their wedding anniversary. As a result his family got motivated. It was more than appreciation letter, regular pay voucher or any other materialistic reward". 
"That's strange"! i interrupted.
"You have to do same thing. If any of your employee is gym rat, then buy him free gym membership for 6 months. Definitely he will like this reward more than annual appraisal. And if someone like to read books, or like gardening, then invest in their hobbies. Believe me, your employees and their families will get emotionally attached with your company. And they will never leave".

"Nice, I like your all suggestions. One of my best worker likes to travel, so I should immediately give him a few days off and ask him to enjoy travelling thrills."

"Yes, exactly. You will see, he will be much happier and motivated to work for you", he said.
"Thanks, Omer" It was great relief for me". I sighed again but hopefully.

Next day, I asked my HR Manager to share all my employees' employment forms. I started noticing everyone's' interest from those forms and started making a list.

Sometimes, small things create stronger impact than big things.


If you like my blog, kindly send me your feedback at following email address

info@askmaaz.com

Follow us at




2 comments:

2019 Calendar - Happy New Year